Washington and Wall Street are supporting global terrorists, not the countries which are targeted in US President Donald Trump’s travel ban, an American journalist and political analyst says.
Abayomi Azikiwe, editor of the Pan-African News Wire, made the remarks in an interview with Press TV on Thursday, after a federal judge in the US state of Hawaii blocked Trump’s latest version of travel ban, saying it “plainly discriminates based on nationality.”
Derrick K. Watson, the judge of US Federal District Court in Honolulu, issued a nationwide order on Tuesday and blocked the third version of Trump’s controversial travel ban, calling it discriminatory and in contravention to immigration law.
The new regulations, set last month, indefinitely banned entry to the US by most nationals of Syria, Libya, Iran, Yemen, Somalia, Chad and North Korea. The restriction also targeted certain Venezuelan government officials and their families.
“I think this is a good decision by the judge in the state of Hawaii. This travel ban is outrageous. It’s targeting countries in Africa and the Middle East,” Azikiwe said.
“These countries are not sources of terrorism. The terrorists are being supported by Washington and Wall Street. They were the ones who had harbored al-Qaeda in Afghanistan. They were the ones who unleashed al-Qaeda and ISIS in Libya, in Syria, in Iraq, and now in Yemen,” he stated.
“So what needs to take place is an honest discussion on the origins of world-wide terrorism and the role of the United States, Britain and France in promoting these problems,” the journalist noted.
“So I think this decision is a good start. Hopefully, they will not try to initiate another travel ban, which will cause more confusion,” he concluded.
The Hawaii judge had previously blocked Trump’s second travel ban from going into effect in March and the first executive order that limited travel from seven Muslim-majority countries was blocked by a federal judge in Seattle.
Trump has issued three travel bans since coming to office in January. His third ban was announced September 24 and takes effect October 18.
During the 2016 presidential race, Trump campaigned for “a total and complete shutdown” of Muslims entering the United States on the pretext of preventing terrorist attacks.
source: press tv