web analytics

Palestinian teen injured by Israeli gunfire succumbs to wounds

A Palestinian teenager has died less than a day after being shot by Israeli military forces during clashes between a group of Palestinian protesters and Israeli forces in the besieged Gaza Strip.

The spokesman for the Gaza Ministry of Health, Ashraf al-Qidra, said in a statement that 17-year-old Mumen Fathi al-Hims passed away on Saturday morning at the European Gaza Hospital in the southern part of the enclave.

Hims was shot and wounded during “The Great March of Return” protests in al-Awdah refugee camp east of the border city of Rafah, located 30 kilometers south of Gaza City, on Friday afternoon.

His death brings to 155 the number of Palestinians who have been killed by Israeli forces ever since anti-occupation protest rallies began in the Gaza Strip on March 30.

A total of 14,811 Palestinians have also sustained injuries, of whom 366 are reportedly in critical condition.

Two other Palestinians were also killed and 246 others injured during Friday’s protests.

Palestinian mourners carry the body of Mumen Fathi al-Hims, a 17-year-old Palestinian,  during his funeral in Rafah refugee camp in the southern Gaza Strip on July 28, 2018.  (Photo by AFP)

The Gaza Ministry of Health said that Ghazi Muhammad Abu Mustafa, 43, died of wounds he sustained with a live bullet in the head east of Khan Yunis city in the southern part of the Gaza Strip.

Fourteen-year-old Majdi Ramzi Kamal al-Satri was also killed when a live bullet struck him in the head east of Rafah.

Additionally, three paramedics suffered moderate gunshot wounds east of Jabalia city, located 4 kilometers north of Gaza City.

The Gaza clashes reached their peak on May 14, on the eve of the 70th anniversary of Nakba Day (Day of Catastrophe), which coincided this year with the US embassy relocation from Tel Aviv to occupied East Jerusalem al-Quds.

On June 13, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution, sponsored by Turkey and Algeria, condemning Israel for Palestinian civilian deaths in the Gaza Strip.

Palestinian mourners carry the body of Majdi al-Sutari, 11, during his funeral in Rafah refugee camp in the southern Gaza Strip on July 28, 2018. (Photo by AFP)

The resolution, which had been put forward on behalf of Arab and Muslim countries, garnered a strong majority of 120 votes in the 193-member assembly, with 8 votes against and 45 abstentions.

The resolution called on UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to make proposals within 60 days “on ways and means for ensuring the safety, protection, and well-being of the Palestinian civilian population under Israeli occupation,” including “recommendations regarding an international protection mechanism.”

It also called for “immediate steps towards ending the closure and the restrictions imposed by Israel on movement and access into and out of the Gaza Strip.”

source: press tv

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.